Here are some things I found out throughout my blogging journey! I am passing them on to you! I hope you find this information helpful!
- If you are brand new to the business of blogging, do not spend a ton of money on starting your blog. You need to go slowly. ( I suggest a free blog for at least a year) If it appears your blog is exploding, you may want to invest in your platform, but not before. It isn’t necessary!
2. You don’t need to utilize all social media outlets in order to be successful! When you began, try all the major ones, like FB, Instagram, Pinterest, and Twitter. As you monitor your sites, you will notice that some will do well and others may not work at all! It is okayyy to do away with those and only focus on what is working for you!
3. Don’t compare yourself to other people and their blogs! Many people exaggerate their progress and sales. That is a well-known trick to gain customers. $2,000 dollars a month sounds much better than making $200! I am not saying some aren’t making that much, but actually getting paid from blogging doesn’t happen more than it does!
4. What other bloggers who make money fail to tell you…Many bloggers have multiple avenues of getting paid! For example, they may get money from being an affiliate marketer, selling templates, advertising for other companies and being a consultant. All of these jobs combined may help them make some extra cash flow. Rarely is the cash flow from a single source! This is why blogging can be exhausting!
5. Please don’t get into blogging thinking you are going to make major cash. You may not make ANY CASH! I got into blogging because I love to write and inspire others. It is also my own little platform and it is like therapy for me. if I were able to make a little cash flow as well that would be nice. Well, I haven’t made 1 dime! I still enjoy it; however, because that is not the reason I started.
6. If you are planning to join a group on Facebook they can be helpful. Please know the blogging biz is just as cutthroat as any other business. You will get unfollowed multiple times by your own group members after you follow them on a Follow me Friday Night in a group task! It can be very frustrating, as the purpose of a group is to support each other as self-starting entrepreneurs!
7. Do onto others as you would have them do onto you! If you promise to follow 5 people, FOLLOW THEM! It’s not going to hurt you. It will help them and your loyalty will likely gain you their follows as well!
8. REMEMBER: BLOGGING IS NOT A FAIRY TALE! I have been unfollowed by a group leader!! She advertised for members to follow her, posting this on the group board! She would, in turn, follow all of us. She followed me, but then turned around and unfollowed me. I confronted her. She made up some crazy story about how it was a mistake and ya ya ya. She followed me again and in 2 weeks she had unfollowed me again! LOL! Needless to say, I am no longer in that group and yes! I messaged her again about this to which she chose not to respond! Even group leaders will be disloyal!
9. Don’t walk into this expecting ANYTHING but having a good time, inspiring someone and putting your best product forward. If you do that you will feel better about your platform!
10. Most of the people who don’t read your blog are family members and then friends! Don’t let that get you down either, and don’t unfriend them because of it! (LOL). I have people in various countries reading my blog and that feels good. Would I like my family/friends to be interested in my blog? Yes! It doesn’t make my blog any less appealing because they don’t. Now that you have the real story…Happy Blogging!